Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Movie theaters in New Orleans

At the suggestion of one of my film acquaintances, I went to see No More Joy _ The Rise and Fall of New Orleans' Movie Theatres. This is a documentary on the history of movie houses and the rise and fall of them, but centering mostly on The Downtown Joy theater as it was called. I must say it was very informative for me as there were things that I didn't know. I love movies. I'm not sure at what age I saw my first film in the movie theater, but I know I was hooked on it. I was 11 years old when I began going to the movies with friends. We'd walk over to the Circle Theater on St. Bernard Ave. It's no longer there, in its place stands a Rally's. Canal St. was the place for theaters in the 20's. They began as extravagant vaudeville houses. Elaborate decor for the rich. Movie companies built theaters to show their films. There was the Saenger, The Lowes, The Downtown Joy and The Orpheum. There were at least ten theaters on Canal St. and half a dozen more in walking distance. MGM held the rights to the Saenger, RKO soon bought out the Orpheum which is how the movie houses got their films. They catered to that particular studio. The other theaters had to wait for second runs or independent films. Films never played over a week at the larger grand theaters. This film is chocked full of information. It covers a good deal of history. Its a by gone era, and I'll certainly miss it. If this film plays in your area, give it a look. It was interesting learning that when Segregation was instituted, the balconies were put in theaters for black patrons. The Saenger refused to allow black patrons into their theater. The theater had the right to refuse any one they wanted. The girl in the booth was given a statement to say and that would make things alright. There is a funny story of how this came to an end. I guess this film would mean more to locals, but I think in general its a good documentary and it would make others remember times in their cities when going to the movie was an entirely different experience. It covers the grand theaters, the age of more theaters under one roof. Malls, the wide screen, surround sound and the digital age. It covers Drive Inns, the depression and the war years. I remember going to the movie theater for .50 cents and for the kiddie shows, it was .25 cents. Now here in New Orleans we pay $5.50 at some theaters for a matinee. Things have certainly changed. We no longer get cartoons before our movies, but fifteen or twenty minutes of previews. The experience is no longer the same. Unless I just have to see a film on the big screen, I prefer to wait and buy it on DVD. Thanks for stopping by and keep an open mind.

No comments: