Wednesday, January 4, 2006

Magnolia

I had seen Magnolia once in the theater and once when I bought it on VHS. Although I liked the film and wanted it in my collection. I felt the price was too high. It was an interesting film. I still haven't added Priest to my DVD collection. Either I can't find it in stores or the version that I want isn't available. I may have to just settle. I was trying to find the International version, it has 5 extra minutes. Those things happen. I remember when Showgirls came out. I ended up  with two versions of that film. I know you're saying he must be sick. Acutally I enjoyed Showgirls. It had moments and that makes a film worthwhile for me. When you really look at as many films as I do, you begin to appreciate the art. You see its a difficult task to tell and story and pull it off in film. Certain subjects carry so much territory. It's one of the reasons certain films just don't do well. Films about models, acting or musicals have to be done precisely or it doesn't work. When a film relies on it's musical numbers to carry the film you realize that they didn't have enough story to tell. Of course if the musical numbers are great then no one complains. If you haven't seen Magnolia, check it out. Tom Cruise gives a good performance as well as John C. Reilly, Julliane Moore and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Here are some film recommendations and my line up for upcoming films I'll be viewing. See if you can find them and watch along with me. Casualties of War with Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox, Claudine with Diahann Carroll and James Earl Jones, Ransom with Mel Gibbson and Rene Russo, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Sugar Hill, Carmen a Hip Hopera, and Solo. Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

No comments: