Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Zoolander

Any film that deals with fashion, film, photography, art, drugs, sex, writing and the human psyche, I will sit through it. Of course I will sit through any movie once I've started watching it. The only way I will ever walk out on a performance of any kind is if the person I'm with and happens to be my transportation walks out then I have no choice. Unless I choose to get home on my own. Zoolander pushes every button in the fashion industry. (Does that sound familliar?) Ben Stiller is an incredible actor. He has pulled off comedy and drama. Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller work well together in this film. The fashions are over the top. The superficial essence of a model not being wrapped to tight. LOL. It's funny. The scene at the gas station, funny and tragic. We laugh at stupidity. (My friends laugh at me all the time, but so do I. You can't take things too seriously, it stresses you out.) The Mugatu fashion show brought back memories. It was fashion designer Willi Smith who changed the way people looked at fashion shows. Willi did a show in which the models were literally mannequins and the audience walked by looking at the models. The moving ramps helped them move along. It was quite the buzz in New York back in the early eigties. Many fashion designers have created some interesting shows and fashions. Some of my favorite designers are, Jean Paul Gaultier, Terry Muglier, Gorgio Armani, Claude Montana, Yoji Yamamoto, Yves Saint Laurent, Bob Mackie and Patrick Kelly who like Willi has gone to that big fashion cloud in the sky. Artistic freedom in the fashion world is copied by these designers. When I used to watch television, Style with Elsa Klench was the place to discover fashion. What most people don't understand is that, when an outfit is presented on the runway, it doesn't mean you're to wear it that way on the streets. Not everyone can get away with it. In fact only an artist can carry off something so unusual. Thanks for stopping by and keep an open mind.

No comments: