Sunday, February 19, 2006

Lady sings the blues

I decided to watch Lady Sings the Blues tonight. I've never seen this film all the way through. It's been a part of my DVD collection for a few months now. I had recorded it a long time ago when I had cable, but I was never in the mood to watch it. Tonight I felt up for it. It is a great film and Diana Ross gave a great performance in which she was nominated for an Oscar. I'm not sure who the competition was that year, but that's the politics of Hollywood. Although the film is based on a book by Billy Holiday, Diana plays the role looking more like herself then the Jazz legend. Perhaps the budget kept them from doing a serious make over. A few years later, Diana Ross did a television special, An Evening with Diana Ross. On that show she showcased her talents, not only as a singer, but as an actress. Diana had longed wanted to play the legendary Josephine Baker. There are even photos of her in the famous pose. On this special Diana played three of the all time greats, Bessie Smith, Josephine Baker and Ethel Waters. They were her audience as Diana in her Billie Holiday garb, stands on stage singing and the legends critique her. I wish they would release that on DVD. It's quite an entertaining show. Berry Gordy was determined to get all that he could out of Diana and the next film would be Mahogany followed by The Wiz which wasn't a great film. Long musical numbers and elaborate sets. It did use New York to its potential despite the fact that there was a garbage strike going on. Diana Ross did make two television films, one in which she played a woman who was schizofrenic and Platinum about an entertainer who neglects her daughter. I never saw that perticular film. If you've never seen Lady Sings the Blues or have an interest in Billie Holiday or just enjoy Jazz and blues. Give this film a look see. Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

No comments: