Saturday, July 2, 2005

RIZE

A break from the in home theater. I went to see a film that I thought looked interesting. I was more interested in the films dancing than the actual story. After having a discussion with a friend I wonder if this could be seen as a mockumentary. As a photographer and visual artist, this film was filled with lots of great visuals. There were great movements of the body and along with some tats, there was some interesting face makeup or painting. RIZE is about an alternative life in Englewood California as opposed to being a gang banger. They are known as the Clowns and the Krumps and their are many groups of each. We know that most of the Clowns make their living as entertainers at birthday parties, but we don't really know how the Krumps survive. I'm sure after this film a few will pop up in some fashion ads. I'm now thinking of the guy in the Kaihula ads, with the oiled body, dreds and his drum. The origins of the hip hop movement go back to the dance of the West Indes and various parts of Africa. The film also combines the rituals of manhood and rites of passage as we see the Clowns preparing for battle. Dance has always been a competitive sport. (A guy that can dance has a better chance at hooking up with a girl then your wall flower, unless of course he has a great rap.) From the audition to keeping a performance going and competing for a spot or in a dance contest. I've won my share of dance contests in my day. Dance is a great way to keep the body fit. I was much thinner back then, even just two years ago. The film has inspired me on many levels. I have an idea for some sketches. If you like innovative dance, give it a look see. Running time is 85 min. Thanks for stopping by, keep an open mind.

No comments: