Monday, June 2, 2014

Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike

I try to see the performances at ZACH as early as possible so if someone asks if I've seen the show I can be truthful. I wasn't really expecting anything, but to see a good show. I had seen two of the performers, Jaston Williams and Beth Broderick in previous performances at ZACH.

Once again, the set design team out did themselves. The stage had a lot of depth as a three story home was in front of us. We see the long foyer, living room and the stairs leading upstairs.

Immediately the audience is laughing as Jaston (Vanya) sits in a night shirt drinking coffee, then enters Lauren Lane (Sonia) and its a hilarious roller coaster ride. I must say Lauren steals the show and her performance just continues to escalate as she is the adopted child who feels invisible. When she is invited to a costume party she then embodies Maggie Smith as the witch who is nominated for an oscar... you had to be there. LOL


If you are in need of a good laugh, this is the performance. Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike runs until June 22, 2014. I may have to try to see it again if I can. The play revolves around Chekhov characters and plays.

There's a little something for everyone with Michael Glavan playing Spike who spends a lot of time in his underwear and gyrating on stage. Carla Nickerson as Cassandra, has some great moments that garner applause from the audience. Cassandra is the house keeper that is part psychic and part voodoo practioner. Morgan Macinnes plays Nina, the young neighbor who Masha finds as a threat. Masha is the successful, somewhat selfish sibling that has to deal with becoming an aging actress and wanting to be the center of attention.

I was not expecting to get a message from the play, but things happen that way. As the family on the stage thinks about family and holding on to a family home it made me think about my own situation. It's a great show which I highly recommend.

Thanks for stopping by and do come back again. Keep an open mind.

No comments: