Monday, June 9, 2014

The Tony Awards

When I remember I like to watch the Tony Awards so that I can see what plays I'd like to see. Watching the Tony's reminds me of trips to New York. When I was younger I always wanted to see Pippin' with Ben Vareen, but that never happened. When I was in high school I always thought about winning a Tony, then that switched to an Oscar, but I went another route, but the dream always remains with me. Although some people make think its too late to see those dreams come true, I don't believe that. You may not be right for a certain role, but there are other ways to still meet those goals. One can write, produce, design costumes or be a set designer.

Last nights show was quite entertaining. The Oscars should take note. Hugh Jackman was good as this years host. There were some great performances by Patti Labelle who still looks good at 70 years old. There were performances from plays I hadn't even heard of. Aladdin, Bullets Over Broadway, Hedwig and the angry inch and Beautiful.  James Monroe Inglehart sang his heart out and won his first Tony. I kept thinking how much he reminded me of Ted Ross who starred in many stage plays and movies including Mistral Man and The Wiz. Sophie Okonedo, and Kenny Leon won their first Tony's for the revival of A Raisin In The Sun written by Lorraine Hansbury. It also won for best revival. Audra McDonald won her sixth Tony, for her performance as Billie Holiday in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill, she is the first actress to win six. Her speech was very touching. Bryan Cranston won for All The Way and Neil Patrick Harris won for Hedwig and the angry inch. I never saw the film, but I may have to look for it and check it out. Alan Cummings performed a scene from the revival of Cabaret.

While I was watching the award show I kept thinking which performances I'd love to see ZACH theatre take on. Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill, Hedwig and the angry inch, Beautiful and Aladdin would make a great family show.

I see the Tony's as a great night for the men to be fashionable. Unlike the Oscars where everyone is in a basic black Tuxedo. Alan Cummings chose a black and white design which looks as if it could have come directly off the runways of fashion week. There were suits and even some with sharkskin.
Going to the theatre has always been about elegance and last night it showed.
Jennifer Hudson sang a song from the upcoming musical Neverland.

There are a lot of stage actors that have appeared on television for a short period of time and you wonder where they are. It was good to see Anika Noni Rose who is currently starring in the revival of A Raisin In The Sun. I don't recall ever seeing a stage production. I recently saw the film which I had not seen since I was really young. I do have a copy of the play that I picked up.

Thanks for stopping by and do keep an open mind. Come back again.

No comments: