Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Happy 40th SIFF Part Six



May 21 - June 14, 1998 “Do You Like To Watch?”
(My best friend at the time was a big Star Wars fan, in fact I never would have seen any of the films if it hadn't of been for him. Yoda had his own space on a shelf.)

Paul Schell was now the new Mayor. Some of the films that I saw included This Is My Father (DDD) which was the opening night film. The Brandon Teena Story (DDDD), Kiki’s Delivery Service (DDD), The Governess (DDDD), Carried Away (DDDD), Melting Pot (DDDD), Uncut (DD) Canada, Lawn Dogs (DD) Great Britain, Metro land (DDD) Great Britain/France, Wilde (DDDDD) Great Britain, Manly Love (D) Spain, Billy’s Hollywood Screen Kiss (DDD), Burn (DDDDD), Dead Man’s Curve released as The Curve (DDDD), God Said Ha (DDD), God’s And Monsters (DDDDD), Henry Fool (DDD), High Art (DDDD), Homo Heights (DD), The Last Days of Disco (DDD), Mr’ P’s Dancing Sushi Bar (DD) USA/Vietnam, The Opposite of Sex (DDDD), Relax It’s Just Sex (DDD)
(This is me playing around. I think I used this image in Four One One.)

A few of the films I’ve never seen make it to VHS or DVD so the rating of the film may have changed on the foreign films if I had been able to watch them again.
I believe this was the year that I met Brendan Fraser, Thomas Jane and several Canadian film makers.
(Brendan Fraser at one of the film parties. He was promoting the film Gods and Monsters.)

There are many places in Seattle that I had made a point to visit in between films and parties. The Gravity Bar,Pioneer Square, The Broadway Market, Pioneer Square, Pike Place Market, Seattle Art Museum and Volunteer Park.

Seattle was becoming like a second home and during SIFF, I felt like a celebrity. I had a driver at my disposal and was able to attend some of the private functions. I had even been included in The Fool Serious Guide To Familiar Faces. That was quite an honor. The people I met while attending SIFF were just so nice and some of us are still friends today.



Here is my new rating system. DDDDD highly recommend. DDDD It should be watched. DDD Entertaining DD So, so if you like the stars. D Just out of curiosity watch it.
(I like all movies. Even those that most people don’t like, it makes for great conversation.)


Check out my other blogs:
http://ArtbyDlonzo.blogspot.com
http://dlonzo-OpenYourMind.blogspot.com


The Seattle International Film Festival will celebrate it’s 40th year in May of 2014. I’ll review some of my favorite films. And talk about my experiences from 1993 - 1999. Continuing with part seven by the end of the week.

Thanks for stopping by, and do come back again or become a follower. Remember to keep an open mind.

No comments: