Thursday, July 13, 2006

Capote, Swordfish

I've been an admirer of Philip Seymour Hoffman since I saw him in The Talented Mr. Ripley. Of course that was not the first film I had seen him in, but he made a big impact in that film. Few heavy set actors make it to leading man status in serious roles. Philip Seymour Hoffman has appeared in such films as Happiness, where he plays a man obsessed with masturbating while making phone calls to a woman in his building. In the Talented Mr. Ripley he plays the friend to Dickie played by Jude Law. In Magnolia he plays a male nurse who brings a dying father together with his son played with perfection by Tom Cruise. In Flawless, which I may watch tonight, he plays a drag queen who teaches a cop, played by Robert Deniro how to talk again, after he has an accident. This is quite a good film and both actors give outstanding performances.

As I continue to put my films in order of importance, I decided to watch Swordfish. I purchased the film because of Halle Berry. What I liked about the film was the opening in which it uses the film Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino as a reference to where they wanted to go with this film. I think I will watch Dog Day Afternoon later this week. Swordfish is an interesting hi tech film with a great cast, which includes Don Cheadle, Hugh Jackman, John Travolta and Halle Berry. Check all of the films mentioned if you haven't seen them in a while or not at all. They are all great films. Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

No comments: