Friday, June 16, 2006

The wonderful world of film

I've watched several films since my last entry. Shaka Zulu, an okay film, sort of a rip off of Amistad, but I'm sure it was made for TV. It stars David Hasselhoff, James Fox, Karen Allen and Grace Jones. The imagery is interesting and although the film is based on a true story it falls weakly. Making it a fairy tale ending. Shaka Zulu was ruthless when it came to taking over, but showed compassion to those on his side.

I also watched the Young Americans. I first saw this film at the Seattle Film festival many, many years ago. The film stars Harvey Keitel. I was taken by this film because of the music and the night club scenes. At the time everyone in the film was virtually unknown, except for Harvey Keitel. The film stars Thandie Newton who had to be a teenager. She's gone on to do some great work including her role in the Oscar winning film Crash. She's worked with Tom Cruiseand David Thewlis along with Terence Howard. The Young Americans is relevant as to what is happening in todays world. The young drug dealers are fearless and they are putting out the old guys. The more the world changes, the more it stays the same. People are going to be people no matter what.

Jarhead was an interesting film as well as Foxfire. I watched both of these films on a whim because my brah mentioned them. Of course I do like Angelina Jolie. Jarhead is a war movie that centers on a group of Marines sent out to guard oil in the desert. The opening reminded me of Full Metal Jacket which has become one of my favorite war movies. At the top of my list are Lawrence of Arabia, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now. I've also enjoyed Three Kings which I am hoping is still in NOLA. Jarhead stars Oscar winner Jamie Fox, along with Jake Gyllenhaal who gives a great performance. I will have to watch this film again because I had the option of viewing it with deleted scenes and didn't take advantage of that.

Foxfire I wasn't sure what to expect. Angelina Jolie plays a young lesbian drifter who stumbles across a group of girls in need of guidance. She heightens their awareness and brings a group of opposites together to form a friendship. I thought the performances were good by all of the actresses, but it is only Angelina Jolie who goes on to take Hollywood by surprise. Give it a look see, there are some familiar faces that pop up.

Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

No comments: