Sunday, June 18, 2006

A day of film

It's been a while since I've watched more than two movies in a day. Today I watched four movies. It began with breakfast, I watched the film Lock Up which stars Sylvester Stallone. It was a good movie, very entertaining. The film also stars Tom Sizemore, John Amos and Donal Sutherland. If you like prison pictures, you're sure to like this one.

I then watched the film The Immortals. I wasn't expecting this film to turn out the way it did. I picked up the film because of the cast, Eric Roberts, Chris Rock, Joe Pantaloni, and Clarence Williams, III, Tia Carrere and Tony Curtis. I've seen Chris Rock do serious roles and as for the other stars, that's usually what they do. Not in this case. It's a heist movie, and things go wrong big time with a comedic effect. Not since The Way of the Gun have I laughed so much. It was just what the doctor ordered on this particular day. If you're in the mood for laughter, I recommend this film or Way of the Gun.

Next up was a film called Redeemer. This film starred Mathew Modine as a writer who goes to work for a prison to teach his craft and perhaps get a story. It's funny what people will do for their art. The film also takes a look at how people never get over their pasts. It's a good film. Seems I had a theme of prison and crime going on.

The last film for today was Lakawanna Blues. I had seen this film on the shelves at Best Buy, but I didn't pick it up because of the price. A month ago it went on sale and I bought it. I decided today I'd watch these films I've had in my collection, but haven't made the time to watch them. Lakawanna is the name of a city in New York. The film is based on a true story, directed by George C. Wolfe, the creator of The Colored Museum. One of my favorite stage plays. This film has an incredible cast which plays like a stage play which is where is was adapted from. The film stars, Terrence Dashon Howard, Macy Gray, Mos Def, Rosie Perez, Leiv Schrieber, Jimmy Smits, Hill Harper, Lou Gossett, Jr., and Delroy Lindo to name a few. It's quite entertaining with its many colorful characters. Everyone shines in this one. Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

No comments: