Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Mos Def

Every now and then I'll see a movie that I've never heard of. That's possible, there are so many films being made that go straight to the video stores or don't get distribution. Since I don't read the movie magazines much or attend the film festivals I just have to see what's out on the shelves or rely on info from the movie clubs. Civil Brand was a film I saw on the shelves some time last year. I was interested in it because Mos Def appears in the film. Mos Def is a rapper with a social message turned actor. He has appeared in such films as Brown Sugar, The Woodsman, Something the Lord has made and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I hope to add that one to my collection soon. In the film Civil Brand, Mos plays a correctional officer who is working his way through college to get a degree in law. It's a small role, but he certainly has a screen presence. The film stars Lisaraye, who finally gives a good performance. She has a look, but her acting wasn't all that in previous films. I was surprised to see Lark Voohries in the film. She appeared on the morning television series, Saved by the Bell. She's quite good in this one playing a good girl role. Monica Calhoun, N'Bushe Wright, MC Lyte, Tichina Arnold, Da Brat and Clifton Powell round out this great ensemble of black actors. It's a prison film that is done well. Give it a look see when you can find it. Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

No comments: