Wednesday, November 9, 2005

Manic

Experimental films are always interesting. It's sort of a hit or miss on both sides. For the film maker and for the audience. There have been many films that have challenged its actors and viewers. How many of you remember Time Code. It was a film that was made as events actually happened in real time or close to it. The camera followed four main characters all at the same time. The screen was split in four. The viewer tends to watch where the action is. Just like with television. You flip the channels until something catches your eye. Manic is shot as if it were a documentary, but it has more of an actors workshop appeal. It's as if the actors were doing improv as well as the camera men. I picked up this film because it stars Don Cheadle as a drug counselor who seems to be battling his own addictions. The film has moments, but it is violent. It brings us into a gritty side of abuse on many levels. The anger that young kids feel and pass on to one another. This is not a film for everyone, but give it a look see if you really enjoy film and want to see something different.

Tuskegee Airmen - I picked this film up because the price was right and it's a piece of history I wanted to add to my collection. The only person I knew who served in any of the World wars passed and I didn't get a chance to get a full comprehension of his experiences. He was a decorated veteran, but we didn't discuss it much when I was younger. I can only imagine what my male relatives experienced during this time despite the fact that they were good at what they did. The color of their skin was still a major obstacle for them. The fact that black men no matter how educated they are, either with or without degrees, they have to fight and continue to fight. No one can understand how someone can get ahead if they are deemed to be inferior. I just over look a lot of things, but some of my associates treat me like that even though they may not even realize what they are doing. I just play by my rules. The film stars an incredible cast of the A list of young black actors in Hollywood. Laurence Fishburne, Allen Payne, Malcolm Jamal Warner, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Courtney B. Vance, Mehki Pfiefer and Andre Braugher. The film reiterates the legacy that most black men with any education must become the ambassadors for their race. It's a heavy burden, but someone has to do it. Check out this film as well as Joe and Max and Miss Evers' Boys. All incredible works of art. Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

No comments: