Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Queen Latifah back on the air

Queen Latifah premiered her new show yesterday here in Austin at 4 P.M. she will be going up against Ellen. From time to time I may watch Ellen depending who is on the show, but I usually have other things going on at that time.

I thought the opening was nice and to hear Queen Latifah sing is what was missing the last time she had her own show. So we got a little fun, singing and dancing. Doing a live show is not for everyone. We all know when we are sitting around talking with friends there are those moments of silence and that happened twice while she was interviewing John Travolta. Although it was subtle and not everyone would pick up on it, it was still there. I do like the fact that she’s just trying to have a normal conversation with people. That’s the type of show I always wanted to do. Just sit down and talk, not because someone was promoting something. There are so many stars that aren’t working, but people are still interested in what they are doing.

Everyone seems to be jumping on the satire band wagon. I don’t know who started this first, but Jimmy Kimmel does it the best. I did laugh at the segments and the fact that Queen Latifah is also an actress made things work. I just like seeing something original.
The set design, which was done by singer Lenny Kravitz was incredible. Queen Latifah even has a DJ which of course Ellen started, but we don’t get to hear a lot of mixing by M C Lyte.

Queen Latifah with the help of Alicia Keys did a good deed for a music teacher and his students by recording one of their songs and giving their band room a makeover.

The show ended with a performance by Willow Smith, the daughter of Will and Jada Pinkett - Smith, who also happen to be the producers of the show. Willow has picked up a bit of an English accent. She’s sure to get some cosmetic endorsements and seems to be getting her height from her dad which will be an advantage as well. She sounds a little like Rihanna, which most of the singers seem to be coming from a cookie cutter these days. There's not a lot of difference. It takes a while for them to break out on their own and you see the real talent show if of course there is any real talent.

Queen Latifah is a good rapper, but I prefer when she is singing. When she made the film Living Out Loud I was really impressed and then her CD Travelin' Light came out and it was a nice change. She is an all around talented individual. Hopefully the talk show won't stop her from doing all the things that she does. My favorite acting role of hers is Cleo from the film Set it Off. If you haven't seen this film it is a must see for Queen Latifah fans.
Since I am not big on remakes, I haven't seen the remake of Steel Magnolias. Maybe one day I'll get to see it.

I won’t get to see the show today in which Will Smith will be a guest. Maybe the segment will make its way to you tube or I can watch it online later in the week.
Queen Latifah did seem to have a full studio, but the aisles are so big that everyone looks far apart. Hoping it works out for the Queen this go round. Now I have someone else to tune into if I have the time. DDDDD


Here is my new rating system. DDDDD highly recommend. DDDD It should be watched. DDD Entertaining DD So if you like the stars. D Just out of curiosity watch it.
(I like all movies. Even those that most people don’t like, it makes for great conversation.)


Thanks for stopping by and keep an open mind. Become a follower while you are here.

No comments: