Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Breakfast Club

I've taken a detour from the film I was supposed to watch, but I'll stay on the same theme. I'm going to watch films that are set in schools. Last night I watched The Breakfast Club. Sort of a Paul Gleason tribute. I have seen The Breakfast Club at least one hundred times if not more. It is one of my favorite films and I always thought it would make a great stage play. Every actor in the film is great. It's a shame that they never reached this same potential in future roles. They all struggled in their careers to move into adult roles, but it didn't actually work out. Anthony Michael Hall will always be remember for his roles as a child star, National Lampoon's Vacation, 16 Candles, Weird Science and The Breakfast Club. His stint on SNL hasn't made it to DVD as far as I know. One of the films that I enjoyed him in has not been released on DVD, it's called Out of Bounds. If you run across it, let me know. Molly Ringwald who I first saw on the series The Facts of Life, blossomed, but her choices weren't always the right ones in her adult life. She's a true artist, she sings, acts and a few years ago walked the Paris runways. She got rave reviews for her performance in Stephen King's The Stand, but things just slowed down. Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald have worked together in several films including Betsy's Wedding. Ally and Judd Nelson appeared together in St. Elmo's Fire. They were the cream of the crop known as the brat pack. Perhaps there was too much pressure on them to succeed. Once you fall into a lifestyle you want to continue to live that way and it's rough to maintain your status. So you take a job just so that your working. Of course I've mentioned this before, usually something reads well, but when you actually start to perform it, it becomes a joke. Emilio Estevez who also starred in St Elmo's fire plays the jock who can't think for himself. The days of high school pretty much determine who we are. We venture off to college because it seems like the right thing to do or someone tells us it's what we need. We are all destined for something different. We all become educated in different ways. Some through schooling and others through actual experience. It's all about making your mark on the world. "Don't you forget about me" Simple Minds. Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

No comments: