Friday, January 18, 2013

Tru




Because I’ve been seeing a lot of theater recently, I’ve decided I would write about it. Theater is just as important as film. All art is important, it makes us think.

Last night I got to see Tru at the Zachary Scott Wisenhunt Theater. This was my first time attending this theater. Talk about an intimate setting. Although you are very close to the person next to you, the seats are very comfortable. This was theater in the round. Tru was written by Jay Presson Allen, who was a producer, writer and actor. Tru is directed by Larry Randolph and stars Jaston Williams as Truman Capote.
Tru is a one man show. It gives us snippets into the life of the famous writer, but it revolves around his last book. The play is set around the Christmas of 1975 in his New York Apartment. It’s always great to see the set designs as some of them I get to see being prepared. Being an artist I really enjoy seeing the work of other artists come together.

We find Mr. Capote drowning his sorrows during the holidays as part of his newest book Answered Prayers has been released in a magazine and the rich and famous seem to have turned their backs on him. Appalled by the fact that he has written about them and named names.

Mr. Williams gives a great performance and from images I’ve seen, at times he even looks like  Mr. Capote. The mannerisms seem to be on point as well as the voice which was as much a signature as the big glasses and the scarf.

 There are some funny lines in the play as well as taking the audience into some dark deep places. With the intimacy of the theater, I could see the reactions of some of the audience members faces as lines triggered something within their psyche. It’s not often that you are so close to people that you can pick up on the vibe from across the room. One has to remember this is a play about someone else and their comments gives us a clue to who they were. Even if it is being written by someone else.

Of course one can’t help, but remember personal experiences. A reminder of someone in their own life or their own personal story. There were many instances that I could relate too. Knowing someone that was an alcoholic and being a writer knowing how I never wanted to use real names. I’ve based characters on several different people as to not cause any problems or destroy friendships.

I recommend this performance if you like theater or have an interest in Truman Capote.

Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind. Think creatively.

No comments: