Friday, January 25, 2013

Bones


 This is not about the television series of the same name. As much as I like to make comparisons to what came before, it wasn’t until yesterday that I realized the film Bones was like a reincarnation of J.D.’s Revenge. A 70’s film that starred Glenn Turman known for his roles in Cooley High, A Different World and once married to Aretha Franklin. Bones stars Snoop Dogg, Pam Grier, Clifton Powell, Michael T. Weiss, Ricky Harris, Bianca Lawson, Khalil Kain, Sean Amsing and Merwin Modesir.

The film is about a murder in a big house that now inhabits the spirit of Jimmy Bones. A group of aspiring young adults buy the building to turn it into a night club when they end up stirring the past and bringing Jimmy Bones back to life to reek havoc on those that killed him.

I wouldn’t call Bones a horror film. It’s more of a suspense thriller with a hint of comedic terror. Anyone that knows me can figure out why this film is even a part of my collection.
Pam Grier looks great in her 70’s costumes as does Snoop, but there isn’t a stretch in their acting abilities. It was something to watch as I passed away the time.

Unless you are a fan of Pam Grier or Snoop I don’t highly recommend it, but if you are a film maker and you want to know what not to do perhaps this is a great training film. There are too many things going on. It’s not hard to keep up, but as I mentioned its hard to categorize the film. Maybe that was the filmmakers intention.

One of my favorite lines from the film, " Four can keep a secret if three of them are dead."

Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind and do come back again.

No comments: