Monday, April 25, 2011

Tom Hanks Double Feature

I have to be in a certain mood to watch certain movies. There are films that I watch at least once a year and then there are those that I watch every three, four or longer before I see them again. I had been wanting to watch Cast Away, but its such a long film and all I remembered was Tom Hanks being on a deserted island talking to a soccer ball. The only reason I went to see the film was because it was Tom Hanks. I don’t think I would have seen this film if it had been any other actor.

Tom Hanks was on a role and he commands the screen when he does the right film. There were a few comedic roles that I didn’t care to see, but it really didn’t have to do with him. It had more to do with his co star. I was never a big fan of Shelly Long or Meg Ryan. I did however like Bachelor Party, Big, and Forest Gump, but that was mostly Tom Hanks.
There are certain comedies I like and some I don’t. I was also never a big fan of war films.
Watching Cast Away made me think of what I would do. It also reminded me how life sends us a curve ball and some people are forced to make decisions they wouldn’t normally make on their own. It’s important to go with ones heart. If you believe in something make it your cause no matter what anyone else says. I enjoy films that make me think. Of course there are times we want to watch a film to escape our own mundane lives.

The second feature was The Green Mile. Normally, I would stay away from a film based on a Stephen King novel or short story. I was not impressed with Cujo or Pet Cemetery. When the Langoliers made it to television I was disappointed, but the Stand changed my mind on adaptations of his work. I had listen to parts of The Green Mile on cassette when my sister-in-law was listening to it. I wanted to see how it would play out on the big screen and I must say it was done quite well. The cast was excellent. Tom Hanks, David Morse, James Cromwell, Sam Rockwell, Michael Duncan, Bonnie Hunt and Patricia Clarkson to name a few. For me when you wait a long time to watch a film it adds to the excitement of trying to remember what’s going to happen. Remembering the first time you saw the film and whether you shared the experience with someone or if you went alone.

For many years I preferred to go to the movies alone because I liked watching movies and sometimes no one wanted to see what I was interested in viewing. Back then films weren’t coming out on VHS after one week at the movie theater. I made a wise investment in my movie collection. I love movies so its not important that I have Blu- Ray or DVD. Of course if I could afford it I’d probably get it, but I can’t. I still watch VHS tapes from time to time because the film may not be available on DVD or the price is just too high for a film that I can still watch on VHS.

Tom Hanks has given a plethora of films and incredible performances. Cast Away and The Green Mile are excellent, but his body of work shows a broader range and that he isn’t afraid to take on a role that he knows he can breathe life into.

Thanks for stopping by, do come back and become a follower while you’re here.




www.artbydlonzo.blogspot.com

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54325957

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54365247

No comments: