Tuesday, March 20, 2018

SXSW 2018

(Some of the cast and producers of the movie Outside In.)

SXSW, One of the many big events that takes place in Austin every year. Since I've been working I don't really do any of the free stuff. Of course last year they didn't do the free wristbands. Things change in Austin often. I guess it's part of that whole Keep Austin Weird mantra.
(Ruben Blades and Director Abner Benaim)

I did manage to catch a few of the features. I wasn't sure how that would work out. I also wasn't sure if I'd get to take any pictures. Edie Falco had shown up for a movie Outside In and I went in during the Q & A, but I only had my cell phone. I thought the premise for the film was interesting, but it wasn't really a new idea.

Sorry to Bother You- I really was interested in seeing this film mainly for the lead actor, Lakeith Stanfield. He had appeared in a small role in the film Get Out. I felt he should have had the lead in that film, but in Sorry to Bother You, directed by Boots Riley, Lakeith gets to shine. I had made some comparisons to the film Get Out, but after the Q & A found out this film was written long before Get Out. It's a visual movie with many social and economic observations.
( Director Boots Riley in the long coat, Jermaine Fowler in the red jacket, Steven Yeun in the dark shirt and jean and Armie Hammer in the dark crew neck and brown pants)

The film deals with stereotypes and the perceptions people have of one another.
There were many actors I was surprised to see were a part of this film including Steven Yeun from The Walking Dead and Jermaine Fowler who appears in the comedy series Superior Donuts opposite Judd Hirsch.

Actors are constantly looking to evolve and I think we see that in Steven Yeun and Jermaine Fowler trying to leave behind the characters we have come accept them as each week.
 ( Some of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders with director Dana Adam Shapiro)

Daughters of The Sexual Revolutions: The Story of the Untold story Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders- The story is about Suzanne Mitchell who was like the surrogate mother to these beautiful young women that became the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. During the sexual revolution there were many that felt the women were being exploited. I learned a lot from this documentary. I remembered some of the controvery with the adult film Debbie Does Dallas and the scandal with the images in Playboy Magazine. The Cheerleaders are very iconic and became celebrities in their own rite. I'm sure this will pop up on PBS at some point and everyone should see it. It was directed by Dana Adam Shapiro.

American Animals- I really liked this movie. It seemed like it was going to be a documentary, but that was not the case. The actual actors who the story is based on actually appear in the movie as themselves. The movie is directed by Bart Layton and stars Evan Peters, Barry Keoghan, Blake Jenner, Jared Abrahamson, Ann Dowd and Udo Kier. For a twist, young guys pretend to be old guys to pull off a heist of some art books at a Library. The movie plays homage to such classics as The Gettaway and The Heist among others.

Eight Grade - Directed by Bo Burnham, and starring Elsie Fisher, it's a movie about those awkward moments for most in 8th grade. It was done from a females perspective. It has moments as it is set in the time of cell phones, texting and sexting.

6 Balloons- I liked the premise for this movie and I was curious as to what Dave Franco would bring to the table. Prior to this I no idea that he was James Franco's brother. It's a film about family, drug addiction and what has more power and sometimes what that power can do to a person. The movie also stars Abbi Jacobson and an appearance by Tim Matheson. The movie is directed by Marja-Lewis Ryan.

I noticed a lot of films featured at this years SXSW were directed by women.

Ruben Blades is not my name- I did not see this documentary, but I had recognized the name, but wasn't sure... then I found out he would be in attendance. I caught the Q & A. I knew he was an actor, but I didn't know he was a musician as well as an activist and politician. He had a lot of stories to tell. The documentary was directed by Abner Benaim.

Elvis Presley The Search (Film 1)- I grew up listening to Elvis on the record player and seeing him on television. I wouldn't say I was a fan, but there was some interest in the movies he made. This documentary was directed by Thom Zimny. It begins from the beginning with Elvis' life in Tupelo Mississippi. What I found interesting was the people talking never appeared on the screen. Only their name and what they did. Prescilla said she aggreed to the project as long as they wouldn't use what she calls the talking heads. She wanted Elvis to tell the story. I thought it was very well put together. She also mentioned that HBO wanted to do a 6 part series, but she didn't want that. There will be a (Film 2) in the near future. Prescilla Presley and David Porter were in attendance.



The Texas High School Shorts- I came in on the short about the gymnist, but I don't think I missed any of the other shorts. I was trying to take notes, but just going by the titles, some of the shorts don't match up and the titles of the films didn't always appear before each movie started or there were no credits. After the films there was a Q&A, but perhaps a lot was said at the beginning of the films, but I came in after the program had begun. I made a comment that perhaps non of them wanted to be film makers since when asked no one responded.

What It Takes- This is a documentary film I walked in on about 3 gymnast and their thought process. It's interesting no matter what you do you always run into someone that doesn't respect what you do. One of the gymnast remarks about others not considering it a sport. I wish I could have been able to do back flips. I related to this because it was the same way guys look at dance. It is also somewhat of a sport. It takes a lot of discipline for anything to be done right, but everyone sees things differently. There are no flashy costumes for gymnast and no musical routines. It's just strength, balance and agility. I really enjoyed this one.

Silent Fist- Influenced by Kung Fu movies I'm sure, we find a young buddisht who's prayer is interupted by the thumping noise from the boxing ring next door. There is some bullying and then a challenge by the boxer. The buddisht channels his inner strenth and the boxer learns to pray.

The Art of War- It is said Art and War are the only realms where rules are broken. The imagery of an artist and a soldier are mixed to bring us a beautiful painting at the end of this short.

The Risk for Freedom- The film maker learns about his grandmother's struggles in Vietnam and making her way to the U.S. Through many channels. It told with compassion and humor as it follows her story from the Japanese occupation, saving her family from hunger and proverty. Arriving in the U.S. in the 1980's.

Pursuit of a Dream- This is an interesting short which of course we've seen in countless films, but it still works well. A man has to make a decision as to keep is job or get rid of part of his past to pursue his future. I can definitely relate to this. Even more so as I write this.

#Refugees Welcome- A woman who does all the right things has her world changed when a bomb goes off in a market place. She is forced to leave the country, her home, family and religion to survive. She goes through a series of events to arrive in the U.S.

Molly and Me- A young teen falls in love. This 5 minute short is pulled together quite nicely. This has potential to be made into a feature length film.

Escape- This 5 minute short is a history of how and young man's grandmother came to America from Vietnam and ended up in Austin. It's a very compassionate movie.

Hunned Effort- This was a 3 minute animated short that was very interesting. A music video shot by Nicholas Luna for Alan Lawson's song of the title of this short.

Keopcke- An experimental animation of abstract stop motion. A 17 year old girl's experience in 1971. A true, but forgotten story. There wasn't a lot of information on this short. It didn't stick in my mind.

CCISD Strong- This 5 minute short was about the efforts of students coming together to help those devested by hurricane Harvey. It's focus was on community and people showing support when they themselves had to deal with the effects of the hurricane, but from a different perspective.

Puzzle Pieces: Living Life on The Spectrum- A young girl talks about living with Austism and others who really have a lot to offer if we just give them a chance. That is life in general. So many people want to connect, but we ignore them for many reasons. They don't look, act or seem to be on our level.

Take A Chance - This was a music video signifying, insecurities as the title suggests you allow the world to see you as you are. It's a piece of art that asks us to identify with them.

How You See Us- This video was created out of anger, as the young film maker said after the screening and in the synopsis. She had gone to DC with her choir for the inauguration of President Donald Trump. The video expresses her feelings on misogyny. The mix of Donald Trump's own words with the music and visuals I thought was very well done. It made me enjoy the piece, but at the same time felt a bit uncomfortable as we all shift to understanding our roles in this new world of being politically correct.

The Texas shorts that I was able to see include:

Maude- a funny short about a 30 something who has several jobs to survive. She stumbles upon a baby sitting gig with the mom of one of her friends who is a designer of sports wear. The story has many twists and turns. I could definitely see this as a feature or even a televisions series.



The podcast is now up on podbean, itunes and stitcher it's call Films Versus Movies. Check it out and follow me(Dlonzo on Twitter) or Tony (TDoug on Twitter)  on social media.

here are the links for the podcasts - https://tdoug.podbean.com/

           https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/tony-douglas-presents-take-five

 https://itunes.apple.com/om/podcast/tdoug-podcast-network/id804851372?mt=2




www.dlonzo-OpenYourMind.blogspot.com
www.ArtbyDlonzo.blogspot.com
www.filmlover4pg@blogspot.com
http://psychedmaster.org

Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind. Do return to see where the journey leads.


No comments: