Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Remembering SIFF Brendan Fraser 1998



I was looking at a journal entry and it recalled my thoughts on meeting Brendan Fraser in 1998.  I had written that I wasn’t sure when I started to like Brendan Fraser as an actor. Maybe it wasn’t until I met him at a party in Seattle. I know some of the films I never would have gone to see in the theater. Airheads just didn’t seem like my type of film or Encino Man. I definitely was not a fan of Pauly Shore. I wanted to see With Honors, but it came and went quickly in NOLA. So, what was my first Brendan Fraser film? It was George of the Jungle, can you believe that? It’s crazy I know. Then I began what I call a film trail. To see the other films he had done.

I always try to get as much information from people as I can. I don’t allow myself to be intimidated by celebrities. They are just like everyone else, but you do have to be careful in your approach. Brendan and I talked for quite some time and stayed in touch for a few months. I respect him for his honesty and its possibly that has hurt him in Hollywood. With Honors is the film that put him on the map. His height and striking features. He lights up a room. The energy that surrounds him draws you in, yet he is very soft spoken. He is the second actor I’ve met that is big in stature, but seems so gentle. The first was Rutger Hauer. It took me by surprise, not what I expected at all.

When I met Brendan he was promoting a film called Still Breathing. It was a love story. The idea was to have this film come out on he heels of George of the Jungle, hoping people would want to see him. Of course that didn’t happen and the film didn’t play in NOLA at all. It turned up on video about 6 months later. Someone knew I had met Brenden so they gave me a special copy of Encino Man. It was one of those viewing copies with the tracking numbers.

I then added Twilight of the Golds and Mrs. Winterborne to my collection. In my opinion, his best performance is not The Mummy or Dudley Do Right, but his performance as the gardener in Gods and Monsters. Brendan should have been nominated for an Oscar for his performance. He was the only actor not nominated.

The story is about James Whale the openly gay director of such films as Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. Although he did other films, he’ll be remember most for those two. Ian McKellan and Lynn Redgrave both gave worthy Oscar nominated performances. Brendan’s features obviously got him the role as he resembled Frankenstein.
The film flows very well and makes you think. It’s a film about the choices we make in life. How curiosity can get the best of us and the things we will do to help out a person we care about.

Brendan has done many films since, but not every actor gets another chance to play such a great character.



Here is my new rating system. DDDDD highly recommend. DDDD It should be watched. DDD Entertaining DD So, so if you like the stars. D Just out of curiosity watch it.
(I like all movies. Even those that most people don’t like, it makes for great conversation.)


Check out my other blogs:
http://ArtbyDlonzo.blogspot.com
http://dlonzo-OpenYourMind.blogspot.com

No comments: