Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Channel Surfing

 (An original laser disc from one of my favorite Stanley Kubrick films. A Clockwork Orange.The first discs were in a hard shell with a vinyl record with audio and video content.)


 Since I don’t have cable and have no intention of getting it, when I watch regular television I channel surf during the commercials. This way I can keep up with all of the programs. Then if someone is talking about something I at least know what it is.
Last Sunday, since non of my regular shows are back, I found myself watching Miley Cyrus. I am certainly not a fan, but you sometimes want to see what all the fuss is about.
When the show opened all I could think about was Madonna.

From a distance Miley Cyrus looks like Madonna. Then she began doing similar moves, grabbing her crotch and wearing skimpy clothing. Although most of her fan base may not know anything about furby’s Miley is now introducing it to the world. There are people that love dressing up like animals and act like animals. It made for a very entertaining show and the music isn’t that bad. I enjoyed the little person and the big woman which I’m guessing it was a woman.

Miley is trying not to put labels on people which some people may have an issue with. Miley had a segment in the show where she encouraged people to kiss, but there was a lot of same sex kissing going on. Other than that I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the show.

TV on DVD
 The last few weeks I began watching Oz, one of my favorite cable series. I discovered Oz while at the home of a family member. I didn’t have cable and since they were watching… I then got hooked on the series from just one episode. When it finally came out on DVD I began collecting each season. Now I can watch them whenever the mood hits. I’ve seen the series several times now. Whenever regular television gets boring I can just pop in a series that I liked.

Months ago I went back down memory lane with the original Beverly Hills 90210 series. I have the first 3 seasons. I liked it a lot. It was silly at times, but they did capture high school life and dealt with some serious subjects. There are many subjects that are not easy to capture and make realistic each week. High school happens to be one of them. The modeling and film industry are also difficult to carry for a long period of time. Sometimes it doesn’t even work in a movie.

Following the Soprano’s I’d have to say The L Word is my third all time favorite cable show. Keep in mind, I didn’t have cable so I was only introduced to these shows by my friends. Of course I stumbled across the L Word at a Hollywood Video store. It was the first season and I saw Pam Grier’s name on the case. The only problem was that it was only the first few episodes of the first season. Then the search began to find the other discs to at least complete the first season. As a new season of any series becomes available, I would go back and start from the beginning. Soon I will begin watching the L Word which I’ve seen many times. I do like waiting long periods of time so that when I go back to watch a series or film. I will see things I didn’t remember or hadn’t seen before. Sometimes I’ll even see it from a different perspective.

Dallas was one of the first series that I would watch when it first came on. It was new, it was fresh and I was working for an Oil company so some of the business dialogue was realistic. Like most shows, its because of a celebrity that I start watching. Although I remembered Larry Hagman from the series I Dream of Jeannie. It was Victoria Principle that I was fascinated with. The only other thing I had seen her in was the disaster film Earthquake. After around the 4th or 5th season I didn’t watch it as often. There were so many other shows I used to watch that I have added at least one season to my collection. It just depends on how cheap I can get them. I am hoping to get the 3rd season of Dallas, that was the season in which JR was shot. Dynasty and Knots Landing have been added. I was thinking about at least one season of Falcon Crest and Melrose Place which was a spin off of Beverly Hills 90210. Some times one season is cheaper than another depending on the popularity and how many episodes that were shot. That allows me to buy the seasons out of sequence, but I won’t watch until I get the seasons prior.

I am a big fan of Criminal Minds and I’ve been trying to get most of the seasons. When I would go to NOLA, my sister and my aunt both had cable and Ion network would run back to back episode of Criminal Minds and Law and Order SVU. So I’d spend 4 hours emersed into the shows. Now that I’m watching my pennies I can’t buy anything that is over $20.00. Law and Order SVU is also one of my favs.

As I make the transition to save more money. This may be my last blog entry for a while. Become a follower or just check back from time to time to see if there have been any new entries. Thanks for stopping by and keep an open mind.



Here is my new rating system. DDDDD highly recommend. DDDD It should be watched. DDD Entertaining DD So, so if you like the stars. D Just out of curiosity watch it.
(I like all movies. Even those that most people don’t like, it makes for great conversation.)


Check out my other blogs:
http://ArtbyDlonzo.blogspot.com
http://dlonzo-OpenYourMind.blogspot.com

No comments: