Friday, May 23, 2014

Happy 40th SIFF Part Two



1994- “See What The World Is Coming To…” May 20 - June 12
(In Seattle my creative side really came out.)


The previous year I met some friends that had a condo down on First St. and they extended an invitation, but since I had the hotel and the place in Tacoma I didn’t take them up on the offer, but I did this time. I liked being in walking distance to Pikes Place Market, Pioneer Square and the theaters. Walking helps me get to know a place.
(The Space Needle)

Behind the list of films that I saw, if you see a Director or Producers name it means I met them.
(Director and Producer of the film Bad Boy Bubby)

That was the year I met Julia Sweeney and I sat down with Director/Producer Rolf De Heer and actor Nick Hope from the film Bad Boy Bubby (DDDD) which is now a cult classic.

(Movie poster from the film Bad Boy Bubby)

This was also the beginning of the wheels turning for me to go to Australia. I had seen a lot of films that were made there and met many actors and individuals from Australia that I felt comfortable going there. (I don’t travel to places without knowing people there just in case something happens.)
(Actor Nicholas Hope star of the film Bad Boy Bubby)

I met Stephan Elliot, writer and director of the film Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (DDDD). This was also the year that I met Thomas Gibson, but once again I didn’t know who he was and I didn’t take a picture.
(A poster from the poster auction representing the film, Love and Human Remains)

Thomas Gibson was the star of the film Love and Human Remains (DDDDD), which is one of my all time favorites. I Met Alan Jacobs, the director of the film Nina Takes A Lover (DDD) he was quite surprised that I wanted his autograph.

I photographed Mimi Rogers that year, who was promoting the film Reflections of a Crime which was originally going to be called Free Regina. The story behind me meeting Miss Rogers was that a friend of mine was working as a freelance writer for one of the local publications. To get me and another friend in, she decided she’d need a photographer. We were all to interview Mimi Rogers, but I wasn’t really a big fan and since we were not allowed to talk about Tom Cruise and other personal matters I thought it was best that I not ask any questions during the interview. The photos I took were very relaxed. She was very nice and very beautiful. After the interview we got to talk and she shared information with me about her new production company. I had plans to write a script, but things changed and it never saw the light of day. (You’ll find out why in the next installment.)

Another funny thing that happened that year was when I met Josh Evans. He was the director and actor of the film Inside The Gold Mine. Josh Evans is the son of Actor Robert Evans. While we were talking we had asked if he had done any other films. He happened to be in one of my favorite films, Ricochet which starred Denzel Washington and John Litgow. When he told me he was one of the leads, I was dumb founded. I had seen this movie many times and I didn’t remember him. I don’t know if it was as bad for him as it was for me. (When I returned home I watched the film and sure enough he was one of the lead characters, but I didn’t remember him. At that time the character didn’t stand out. Now that I’ve met him, there is no way that I’ll ever forget that he was in the film.)
Another interesting story was another young director. I had never heard of him before and so I really didn’t have any interest in photographing him or getting his autograph. He was a young Asian director and writer by the name of Greg Araki. He was promoting his film Totally F**cked Up. I was not impressed with the film and I’ve never seen it available on DVD. (I’d probably add it to the collection just because.) As you’ll find out I did become a big fan of Araki’s later films. I decided that I would become a Goodwill member and show my support. After all, SIFF was creating opportunities for me, why shouldn’t I help out.

A Man in Uniform, Tango, Just Like A Woman (Great Britain), The Young Americans, Up, Down and Sideways (Greece), Stefano (Italy), Sex, Drugs & Democracy Director Johnathan Blank, Producer Barclay Powers (The Netherlands) Golden Balls (Spain), How To Be Miserable and Enjoy It (Spain), Kika (Spain), The Journal De Lady M (Switzerland), East, Drink, Man, Woman, The Beans of Egypt Maine - I met Director Jennifer Warner and actor Rutger Hauer. Ever since Blade Runner I was a fan of his, but I was not expecting him to be so soft spoken and he wasn’t very tall.
Blessing, Clerks, Erotique (Shorts) - Let’s Talk About Sex, Taboo Parlor, Wonton Soup.
Freedom on my Mind I met the Director Connie Fields and Producer Marilyn Mulford.
Love and a .45, and Sleep With Me.




Here is my new rating system. DDDDD highly recommend. DDDD It should be watched. DDD Entertaining DD So, so if you like the stars. D Just out of curiosity watch it.
(I like all movies. Even those that most people don’t like, it makes for great conversation.)


Check out my other blogs:
http://ArtbyDlonzo.blogspot.com
http://dlonzo-OpenYourMind.blogspot.com


The Seattle International Film Festival will celebrate it’s 40th year in May of 2014. I’ll review some of my favorite films. And talk about my experiences from 1993 - 1999. Continuing with part three next week.

Thanks for stopping by, and do come back again or become a follower. Remember to keep an open mind.

No comments: