Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Movies TV Network

              Since discovering this channel I’ve watched a number of movies I’ve never seen before or I was so young that I didn’t really understand the film. I remember some westerns as a child and playing cowboys and Indians, but during my teenage years I was no longer fond of westerns.
 It wasn’t until Young Guns that I remember going to the theater to see a western. I was still very selective in which films I saw. I think it had a lot to do with the stars in the film. I watched Cowboy with John Ford and Jack Lemmon.

Barbarella with Jane Fonda and John Phillip Law. I remembered the opening sequence of the film and finding out later that one of my favorite groups got their name from the film. That group would be Duran, Duran. Cat Balou was a western that starred Jane Fonda and Lee Marvin. Tom Boy is the newest edition to my collection. It’s an 80’s film that stars Betsy Russell as a mechanic who wants to race cars. It’s quirky 80’s fun. I’ve always liked movies, but when I started going to the theater by myself, I saw almost everything that came out. Some of them are considered bad movies, but mostly I went because of who was in the film. I’m still trying to get my hands on some films that haven’t made it to DVD. If it is on DVD its not in big demand. I’d love to get my hands on The Doberman Gang.

I’ve seen Rio Grande with John Wayne. I do remember watching a few films with John Wayne as a kid with my uncle. Once Upon a Time in the West is a very artsy western directed by Sergio Calione and stars Claudia Cardinale, Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, Lee Marvin and Woody Strode. This film comes together in the last few minutes. This is what I love about film. Sometimes as story doesn’t come together until the end. The attention span of most theater audiences today might not be able to sit through a film like Once Upon a Time in The West. There is a lot of unexpected killing. The cinematography is awesome.
Posse starred Kirk Douglas, Bruce Dern and Bo Hopkins. I would like to see this one again as I didn’t catch it from the beginning. It’s an interesting story as the sheriffs men turn on him.
Pal Joey - stars Frank Sinatra, Rita Hayworth and Kim Novac. It’s an interesting film about a hustler caught in an unusual love triangle, trying to fulfill his dream.

I also watched Set it Off which is a part of my collection. I really like this film from director F. Gary Gray. It stars Jada Pinkett Smith, Queen Latifah, Vivaca Fox, Blair Underwood and introduces us to Kimberly Elise. It’s about four women who become bank robbers as they try to make better lives for themselves after it seems as if they have been dealt the wrong hand. The performances are really great by all of the women in the film. I’ve seen this film countless times. It’s definitely worth a look see.

If I repeat any films from previous entries I’m sorry, but they are probably worth mentioning again. Thanks for stopping by and keep an open mind. Enjoy the movies.

No comments: