Saturday, March 19, 2011

Movies as they relate to me

David Lynch - Whether or not I saw a film had nothing to do with the director in most cases, but I do realize there were certain names affiliated with a film that would make me want to see them.

Most films I saw was mainly because of a star or the premise, but Irwin Allen was a name that stood out for me and so I wanted to see the films where his name appeared in the credits. The same went for Dino De Laurentis.

I sat in front of my computer looking for CBS to see the turn around on television shows and I stumbled across Twin Peaks. I was not a fan of the series, but I liked some of the stars and I had seen most of David Lynch’s films. Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. A lot of it had to do with the stars that he worked with. Since I saw Making Love I was a fan of Michael Ontkean. It had taken a long time for him to surface again after making such a controversial film.

I watched some of Twin Peaks and I realize I like the quirkiness of his characters. It reminds me of some of the characters I’ve created. David Lynch taps into the surreal or our dream state and brings it into reality.

I like David Lynch, David Cronenberg, and David Fincher to name a few.

Last night I decided to watch a film I hadn’t seen in years, Philadelphia which starred Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington. Tom Hanks won an Oscar for his portrayal of a gay lawyer with AIDS.
The film brought back a lot of memories of friends that were a part of my life and are now gone on to a new life.
The film holds up, but there are a few scenes that make the film dated.

I’ve seen some great films that haven’t gotten a large release or haven’t made it to DVD. The Users with Jacklyn Smith and Tony Curtis has never come to DVD. It took a very long time before Bad Boy Bubby made it to DVD. Chain of Desire hasn’t made it to DVD. I’ve never seen Last Exit to Brooklyn on DVD as well as Love and Human Remains.
I really enjoy movies, it’s a great escape and it can also be inspiring.

Here are a few film recommendations: The Experiment with Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker, Primal Fear with Richard Gere and Edward Norton, Love Come Down with Larenz Tate and Deborah Cox, Far North, Antichrist with Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsburg, Gilda with Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford and Little Man Tate with Jodie Foster.

Thanks for stopping by, do come back and become a follower while you’re here.

No comments: