Saturday, May 21, 2005

Catchin' up with the D

This weeks films, if you'd like to follow along: In the Bedroom, Cat's Meow, I'm about to watch the 3rd Seaso of Oz, And I'll begin the Pam Grier DVD festival, beginning with my all time favorite, Coffy, and then followed by Foxy Brown, 3 A.M., Fort Apache the Bronx, where she gave her most acclaimed role starring with Paul Newman and Ed Asner and Above the Law with Steven Segal.

Sometimes I wonder, when I don't find a film to be so great, is there something wrong with me? Recently I watched Clockwork Orange. I've not seen this film in years. It's one of my favorite Kubrick films. It's based on the book by Anthony Burgess. The film and the book have a language all its own. Talk about ebonics. Kubrick was a genious who loved technology and gadgets. Seems we had something in common. But according to the book Eyes wide open, Kubrick was not fond of Lolita and I think the dialogue in Lolita is the best of all of his films outside of Clockwork Orange, followed by Full Metal Jacket. Kubrick loved sex, though was not a man who engaged in much of it. It shows in his art. Something else we have in common. If you have never seen Clockwork Orange it is definitely worth a look. This cult classic is brutal and makes a heavy statement. Sometimes curing a person of something can make them self destructive to themselves. It changes their views on everything. The soundtrack adds to the intensity of the film.

Another film I watched recently was Project X. I was lucky enough to find this film at Borders while I was in Hawaii. It was a steal and a must have for my collection. It's one of those films that had an impact on me. It stars Mathew Broderick and Helen Hunt. She was a film actress before going to TV. The film is about monkey's being used for government flight simulation and radiation effects. This actually goes on and this film was based on a true story. Although Mathew is good on screen, it's the chimpanzees that steal the movie. This is definitely a film to give a look see and the family can watch it, but there are a few disturbing films. Hey, if you had to explain Bambi to your kids, then why not this one? Thanks for stopping by, keep an open mind.

No comments: