Sunday, June 5, 2022

The film and movie watching continues

 I went to the library to try and find the Oscar nominated movies and then I discover something else of interest. I did however get Westside Story, but there are some others that I hadn't expected to see or I had forgotten I wanted to see them. Cruela was one of those movies. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the black and white fashion aspect was what I was interested in seeing. The fashions surpassed anything I have seen in a very long time. The sequence on the trash truck is a show stopper if it were a runway show. I figured it would happen, but it was awesome to see it unfold. It's an interesting story, but it is a little slow at moments. I would have liked to have seen more fashion sequences, but the party scenes and fashion shows are great. I recommend it just for that alone, especially if you are into fashion.

Free Guy is an interesting movie with great visual effects and a message. In light of all that is happening in the world it's a fun movie, but at the same time, too many people are lost in video games trying to be something they are not in the real world. Sometimes they get confused and make it their reality. Ryan Reynolds stars as Guy a character in a video game that doesn't know he isn't real. It's filled with a lot, but the film maker managed to get a love story in there. There are some homages to a few movies and perhaps video games. Since I am not a gamer I can't be sure. Chris Evans pops up in a cameo in reference to a character he plays.

Gully is one such movie that does it. The teenagers get bored and decide to create their own virtual reality in the real world.

The French Dispatch is an interesting film by Wes Anderson. Wes Anderson is an artist and tells stories in a unique way. The cast is quite incredible. He must be a great director to work for because there are stars popping up all over the place in small roles. Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Edward Norton, Timoth'ee Chalamet, Jeffrey Wright, Tilda Swinton, Owen Wilson, Benicio Del Toro, Christoph Waltz, Anjelica Houston, Willem Dafoe & Adrien Brody to name a few. If you are a fan of Wes Anderson's work you will enjoy this film.

The Forever Purge, there are movies that I like to watch, but they are a bit disturbing. I have seen some of the other Purge movies, but this one sort of reflects what is going on now. As artists, we make statements they may only resonate with ourselfs or the people around us. The work reflects what we see or would like to see. Sending a message. The Purge was a day set aside by government where it is legal to committ any crime a person wishes. In The Forever Purge after The Purge is over, there are people that keep on going. The only place to seek refuge is over the border into Mexico. The thought of this happening is very disturbing as more and more people arm themselves.

Horror Beach Party/The Curse of the Living Corpse. I picked this one up for Horror Beach Party. I figured it would be something interesting to watch. It's funny to see what film makers were able to get away with before the rating system was put in place. Del Tenny was a stage actor who turned his sights to movies using some of his stage friends. Horror Beach Party was making a statement about the environment whether it was on purpose or not. Radio Active waste is thrown into the sea causing creatures to be formed. There is only one sequence near the beach. Everything else takes place in the woods or a home. The creatures aren't very scary, but the night time shots does make it somewhat haunting. Eulabelle Moore appears in the movie as a maid that believes in voodoo. I will have to do some research to see if Miss Moore did any other movies. There's dancing and singing and skimpy bathing suits.

The Curse of the Living Corpse stars Roy R Scheider of Jaws fame in his first screen role. So I decided to watch it. It's an interesting story. but not very scary.



No comments: