Monday, March 9, 2015

Back to the Movies

I’ve been catching up on some movies thanks to a friend. A couple of friends who like movies as much as I do, send me films from their collection when they are ready to retire them. In the last few weeks I’ve seen quite a few interesting movies, including The Book Thief, August: Osage County, Klown, Midnight in Paris, The Deep Blue Sea, Mud, Incendies, and Dragon Heart.

I’m going to begin with The Deep Blue Sea which stars Rachel Weisz, Simon Russell Beale and To Hiddleston. I was not impressed with this film at all. I thought it was slow moving and hard to follow. Perhaps I will watch it again to see if I feel differently. Sometimes that happens. I’ll watch a movie and feel one way about it the first time and then when I watch it again it all changes. It depends on my mood, that’s why I like to watch certain films at a certain time. (D)

Dragon Heart was one of those surprises. I didn’t know what this film was about. I figured it would be a Medieval story, but I was not expecting the comedic side or the cast. The film stars Dennis Quaid, David Thewlis, John Postelwait, Julie Christie and Sean Connery voices the dragon. Dragon Heart is the name given by Dennis Quaid’s character to the Dragon who is the last of his race. The two team up together to save each other and save each other from extinction. The special effects are really great. This was truly a delightful film. One for the entire family. (DDD)

Incendies is a foreign film I had never heard of. It’s the story of fraternal twins, Jean and Simon who are asked to search for their father and brother as instructed in their mother’s will. The unwanted search leaves them to discover things they never knew about their parents and their past. This is a gripping and torturous film. I really like foreign films because they can be so real. They don’t hold back, and life isn’t always about happy endings.
The film stars Lubna Azabel, Melissa Desormeaux-Poulin, Maxim Gaudette, Remy Girard and Abdel Ghafour Elaaziz (DDD)

Klown is one of those film I had never heard of. It was a foreign film, but very funny. Just what I needed after watching several powerful films. The film stars Frank Havm and Casper Christensen who also wrote the film.

It’s the story of a man who finds out his girlfriend is pregnant and he wants to prove to her he can be a father before she has an abortion. He takes one of the kids in the family on a canoe trip with a friend that has other plans. It’s non stop mayhem from the opening sequence all the way to the end. Some of the humor is not for everyone, but if you need a good laugh, I recommend this one. (DDD)

Coming soon: Mud, August: Osage County, Midnight in Paris, The Book Theif

No comments: