Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Films 10-8-14 Movies

Normally October is the month that I watch horror films or scary movies. I’ve been on a retro kick lately and watching DVDs of televisions series from the late 70’s and 80’s. Currenly I am watching Dallas. I am now watching season 4. Now that I am older there are things that I am noticing that I never noticed before. One of the reasons I liked Dallas was that I was working for an oil company at the time so I understood what was going on. The reason I began watching Dallas was because of Victoria Principle. From the moment I saw her in Earthquake I was a fan.

Lucy Gallant (DDDD) - Jane Wyman, Charlton Heston, Thelma Ritter and an appearance by Edith Head as herself. It’s the story of a dress designer who didn’t make it in NYC so she arrives in a small town where oil is booming and she makes a killing selling her dresses and turning the local women into socialites. Charlton Heston is the owner of a ranch that falls in love with the woman, but doesn’t like the idea of her working. It’s the classic boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back, tale.
The costumes were designed by Edith Head who makes an appearance in the film as herself. The fashion sequence is classic.

Diamond Head  (DDDD)- Charlton Heston, I’m sure this had to be a controversial film at its time of release like Island in the Sun. Both films deal with race and class. Charlton Heston plays a tycoon in love with an islander, but doesn’t think it is right to marry her. When his sister falls in love with an islander and is about to be married a scandal arises and the fiance’ is killed accidentally or maybe not.


Patch Adams (DDDD) - Robin Williams In memoriam of Robin Williams I decided to watch this film. I was going to do a Robin Williams film fest, but I haven’t made the time. Of course I had recently watched several of his films including Good Morning Vietnam, and Moscow on the Hudson. In Patch Adams, Robin Williams wants to be a doctor that treats patients with humor, love and compassion. Breaking the rule of doctors not getting close to their patients. It’s quite an interesting film. I had it in my collection for some time, but I couldn’t remember watching it. I think perhaps someone gave it to me. Friends are always sending me their movies when they are getting rid of their collections.

Mrs. Evers Boys (DDDD)- Alfre Woodard, Laurance Fishburne, Craig Sheifer and Joe Morton, based on a true story, this film deals with studies of syphilis on black men in a small southern town. It became known as the Tuskgee Experiment which began back in 1932. In stead of telling the men the truth, they tell them the test is for something else as they experiment on not giving all of the men proper treatment. It’s a story of deceit, uncovering the truth and standing by decisions all started by the Government.

The Greatest Show On Earth  1954 (DDD)- Charlton Heston, Jimmy Stewart This is a story about Circus Life. When Ringling Barnum and Bailey Circus joined forces. I remember watching this film with my grandmother some time in the 60’s. There is a love story in the mist of all the pageantry, competition and criminal mischief.

River of No Return 1954 (DDDD) - Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe star in this Western about a saloon singer that meets up with a man searching for gold. I had not seen this film with Marilyn Monroe before.

The Turning Point 1977 (DDD) - I was around 16 when this film first came out. I wasn’t really into films about ballet. At least not paying to see that sort of film at the theatre. The film starred Shirley MacClain and Anne Bancroft as ballet dancers that chose different careers, but envy each other for their choices.





Here is my new rating system. DDDDD highly recommend. DDDD It should be watched. DDD Entertaining DD So, so if you like the stars. D Just out of curiosity watch it.
(I like all movies. Even those that most people don’t like, it makes for great conversation.)


Check out my other blogs:
http://ArtbyDlonzo.blogspot.com
http://dlonzo-OpenYourMind.blogspot.com





Thanks for stopping by, and do come back again or become a follower. Remember to keep an open mind.

No comments: