Monday, September 22, 2014

Jaston Williams

When most people hear the name Jaston Williams they immediately think of Greater Tuna. I of course will always remember the first performance that I saw, which was his role as Truman Capote in his one man show Tru. The only other performance I had ever seen was Vanya and Sonya and Masha and Spike until a few weeks ago when I saw Maid Marian in a Stolen Car.
 (Because Jaston is a comedic actor I thought it would be interesting to do something different. The door happened to be locked so I had to be somewhat creative.)

Working with the actors, to make sure they have a parking space, I get to know them a little. Toward the end of the run of Tru, I had a chance to talk to Jaston and he told me about a project he had been working on. It had been in the works for many years, but he was now able to pull it together as the performance it is today.

Now he is back at Zach’s Whisenhunt theatre with Main Marian in a Stolen Car for three final days. September 26, 27 and 28.

I found Maid Marian to be an homage to the theatre world which Jaston knows first hand. It’s a personal story which I am always in awe of any artist that is willing to bring their life into the open. Digging deep to be so personal whether its about loved ones, close friends or demons is what people like to hear about. Sometimes it helps the audience to connect with the artist and other times it just helps people to understand the artist is just like everyone else.

There are some heart felt moments and lots of funny moments that will truly make you laugh. You’ll also think about what you were doing in certain periods of your life. Some more than others depending on your age.

I’ve always thought a good actor really doesn’t need a lot of props to pull off a performance. Jaston proves my point. With three chairs, a bean bag and a few costume changes Jaston works the intimate area of the Whisenhunt stage perfectly.

From his beginnings as an actor in high school and all of his adventures along the way we get to relive his experiences.

Catch this show if you can, its really great entertainment. Check out zachtheatre.org for more information.

Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

http://dlonzo.OpenYourMind.blogspot.com

No comments: