Sunday, May 26, 2013

Pam Grier day




It’s Pam Grier day. Today the actress and author turns 64. In the past I’ve dedicated the month to Pam Grier and watch her films. I will begin a marathon starting with The Arena and ending with my favorite film Coffy. Then I will watch the series The L Word. In the middle of that I’ll watch Black Mama, White Mama, The Big Doll House, Foxy Brown, The Big Bird Cage, Drum, Jackie Brown and Fort Apache The Bronx.
The Arena is a female version of the gladiator movies. Black Mama, White Mama is the female version of The Defiant Ones. The majority of the films showcase Pam’s bodily assets, but you can see her acting develop. Fort Apache the Bronx, although a small role was one of her more demanding roles. She wasn’t even considered for the part. She pulled a Dorothy Dandridge and Paul Newman liked what she saw and she was given the role. (Pulling a Dorothy Dandridge is a term I came up with for an actress that goes in for a role in character when she’s been told she isn’t right for the part and then she proves everyone wrong.) The only film of Miss Griers that I would like to add to my collection is Something Wicked This Way Comes. There are many other films that I have in my collection, but I’ll save them for another time. Strip Search, Love The Hard Way, Above the Law, Bucktown, Original Gangstas, Sheba Baby, Scream Blacula Scream, Feast of All Saints, Ghost of Mars and 3 A.M. & Bones which I watched a few weeks ago.




Thanks for stopping by, and do come back again. Remember to keep an open mind.



No comments: