Friday, April 5, 2013

Everyday People




I found this film for a dollar and it seemed like an interesting premise and one of the faces was familiar so I picked it up. It’s an interesting story on many levels. It deals with the perceptions we have of people without really getting to know them. For most of us we tend to judge someone by what we see and not what we know. If we see someone on the street begging for money, we immediately think they are homeless or have some sort of addiction. Sometimes the person begging on the street isn’t homeless, but they just can’t make ends meet. But if we just pass judgment and don’t bother to ask, then we’ll never know. Many of us don’t care to know. I too am guilty of that, but I made myself aware of this world that I knew nothing about. People get into a situation because they are afraid or don’t know how to ask for help. When you hear no often enough in your life you just don’t bother to ask your family or friends for help.

Everyday people brings people of various backgrounds together. There are people who work, but they aren’t doing it for the money. They are doing it because they enjoy it. I know it may sounds odd, but it is true. There aren’t many people who can say they have a job that they would do for free. I used to volunteer a lot and from time to time I try to help others, but I don’t volunteer like I used to. One of the reasons is that here in Austin, they don’t seem to supply parking so it makes it difficult unless of course you take public transportation.

We live in a world where we are divided on many levels. There is the racial divide and the economic divide. Sometimes we become a part of this without even knowing. One day we are a part of something and then before we know it we are a part of something else. Everyday is a challenge and if we don’t acquire the knowledge to deal with it, then we are doomed.

Everyday People has won several awards and was written and directed by Jim McKay for HBO films.

Thanks for stopping by, and do come back again. Remember to keep an open mind.

No comments: