Monday, May 11, 2009

Movies, movies, movies

I am a film lover, but there are still many, many movies that I have not had the chance to see. Of course some films I haven’t seen because I really didn’t want too or there was someone in the film that I just wasn’t a big fan.

I've been watching films that I haven't seen before. There are still a lot of films that I haven't seen. I really had no interest in seeing them or I didn't like who was in the film. That's always a big factor. There are certain stars I will go to see in a film and others I won't bother.

This weekend I watched, Grease, I wasn't a big fan of John Travolta or Olivia Newton John and I wasn't interested in the storyline. After watching the film its okay. It has moments, but some of the songs slow the film down. I am a fan of Stockard Channing and Jeff Conaway, but their musical numbers didn't work for me. Stockard Channing has made some films that moved her up in the acting world, but Jeff Conaway after Taxi seemed to only worked downward. He appeared in a few films one which I liked only because it dealt with fashion was Covergirl. Jeff Conaway plays a guy where money is no expense and falls in love with a cover girl. John Travolta’s career escalated with the success of Grease and he’s till on top of his acting game.

The other film I watched was 9 to 5 with Dolly Parton, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dabney Coleman. Ren Woods has a small non speaking part in this film. I decided to watch this film since its been turned into a musical. I saw a preview of one of the numbers on The View. Someone gave the movie to me last year so I opened the wrapper and gave it a look see. It was a good movie and made me think about the work place. It’s been almost 9 years since I’ve been a part of corporate America. I may have to step through those doors again.

Next up was Happiness, This was somewhat a disturbing film that starred the then unknown, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Lara Flynn Boyle, Cynthia Stevenson, Louise Lasser, Ben Gazzara, Dylan Baker and Elizabeth Ashley. The film captures the illusion of what some people consider happiness and what it really is all about. The film shows how some people are just so caught up in themselves that they don’t see what’s happening right in front of them. The film makes you think about the people around you. There are some disturbing images, but the film is worth a look. This is my third time watching the film. It is a part of the collection on VHS.

The last film I watched rounding out the weekend was The Patriot which stars Mel Gibson and the late Heath Ledger. It's a long film at 163 minutes, but it moves which is always a good thing. I really enjoyed the film which revolves around the battle between the Blue coats and the Red Coats. The film also stars Chris Cooper, (American Beauty, Adaptation) Rene Auberjonois, (The Lloyd Bridges look alike, The Eyes of Laura Mars) Jason Isaacs and Tom Wilkinson, (The Governess, The Full Monty).

Thanks for stopping by and do come back again.

No comments: