Monday, March 9, 2009

When The Levees Broke

I finally made myself watch the documentary by Spike Lee of the traumatic aftermath of Katrina. I had been putting off watching the DVD that I had borrowed from a friend until I felt I was ready. I wasn’t sure what type of emotions would come out of watching the documentary, but I’ve done a good job at getting myself over that hurdle. By not blocking things out I can deal with things that bring back the memories of that week of being in NOLA.

The documentary gives me a different perspective on the days that followed and the views of celebrities who are from NOLA and their families along with some average people and politicians. The documentary also captured how some of the stories were escalated into incidents that didn’t actually take place. It also caught people in the act of looting for survival and out of stupidity. It was understandable when you heard someone stole water, clothing, food, diapers, etc., but it made no sense to see someone stealing a television when there was no power. In times of disaster people don’t always think clearly. There were many mentally disabled people roaming around the city. Their medications had run out and there was nothing that anyone could do.

When the Levees Broke is a 3 disc DVD told in four acts with two additional segments.
The DVD includes, Spike Lee’s commentary which is optional. Phyllis Mouton LeBlanc, Wendell Pierce, Terrence Blanchard, C. Ray Nagin, Louella Givens, Dale Girard, Sean Penn, Fred Johnson, and many others. The DVD doesn’t sugar coat anything, even from the people that are talking.

www.artbydlonzo.blogspot.com
www.dcinemafile.blogspot.com
www.filmloverpg.blogspot.com
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=38275088
www.n4cersworld.com
http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/civil_rights/

I’ll add more links soon.

Time to get back to reality. Rebuilding my life, one step at a time.
Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind. What is meant to be…

No comments: