Saturday, December 24, 2005

Top Gun

I had put off seeing this film for a long time. Since I've been building the ultimate DVD collection I've added a few Tom Cruise films, but I have not added Magnolia which I feel is his best role. The only reason I haven't added the film is because of the price. I'll stumble across a used copy soon. At one of the Seattle film festivals, oh way back when. LOL. There was a film I saw called Sleep with Me. The film starred Eric Stolz, Craig Sheffer and Meg Tilly. Quentin Tarantino made an appearance. Now when a writer writes, he has the power to be satirical or to be down right cruel. Sometimes during filming, a director gives his actors freedom and they just ad lib. Sometimes this adds to the character and the flow of the film and sometimes not. There is a party scene and Quentin is in the kitchen and he goes off on the symbolism of Top Gun being about homosexuality. It's a riot and it makes you think... Top Gun is a guy movie, all the b s, hormones, competitiveness and comaraderie that goes on when men get together. The film starred a bunch of up and coming actors and actresses including, Kelly Gillis and Meg Ryan. Anthony Edwards, Val Kilmer, Michael Ironside and Tom Skeritt. I never had the opportunity to meet Tom Skeritt, but I used to pass by his condo. (No I wasn't a stalker, it was the same block.) It was on the way to the condo where I was staying on 1st avenue, near Pioneer Square in Seattle. Here are some holiday film recommendations and a few of which I will be watching. Tonights feature will be Beauty Shop with Queen Latifah, tomorrow the classic film, The Wizard of Oz. I watched episode 8 of the L word and I am hooked. Now I want more. It's inspired me to do some writing which is a good thing. I love cutting edge, but I also like good writing. I just hope my stories hold up and are still interesting when I put them out there or they are discovered in a box some day. My life in four chapters. Sounds interesting. I will make Pieces of Reality a reality and then I'll work on Confessions in Exile. Now that sounds interesting. What could that be about? You'll have to stick to Open Your Mind for that. LOL. Have a Merry Christmas, thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind and watch a movie. Perhaps you'll unwrap a good film. LOL.

No comments: