Sunday, February 5, 2023

Films and Movies 2023

 I continue to watch films and movies and I am trying to watch as many of the Oscar nominated films and movies before the awards. There will be several that I won't see only because I would like to see them on the big screen. Black Panther Wakanda Forever and Avatar, The Way of Water are two of them. I watched Elvis because it had done well at the Golden Globes. I wasn't sure about it when I first started watching. Tom Hanks is rather creepy as the Colonel, but it is as much a story of the Colonel as it is of Elvis. I am not a fan of films or movies that have narration, but it was getting better as the movie progressed. I am not sure if Tom Hanks is nominated for an Oscar, but he should be. The influences of Elvis are very interesting. I am not a big fan of Elvis, but his music was played in the house, and I did see some of his movies. The actress who plays Rosetta Tharpe has a powerhouse of a voice and this is her first movie. The only thing I don't like with Baz Luhrmann his is incorporation of hip hop music. With the exception of Mouline Rouge, it just doesn't work for me when you are doing a period piece. Other than that, the movie is quite entertaining.

Austin Butler embodies Elvis as does Tom Hanks as Colonel Peters. Alton Mason gives a great performance as Little Richard, I felt there could have been a better job done with the hair. Perhaps they didn't think black people would check out this movie. Kelvin Harrison, Jr plays B.B. King, Gary Clark, Jr is Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup"and Shonkra Dukureh plays Big Momma Thorton. For me it was just as important to see the things that were happening and the influences and those that encouraged Elvis to be himself. It's worth a look.


Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind and do come back again.

No comments: