Sunday, August 29, 2021

It's an Anniversary

The Mercedez Benz Super Dome



 There are some anniversaries we sometimes don't want to remember. 16 years ago today Katrina changed my life in a very big and traumatic way. I thought I was over the PTS, but I guess it never goes away. About 6 years ago, I can't really be sure, but I was watching the news and there was some flooding somewhere and it brought me back to that day. Every time it rains now I think about flooding. Although I know where I am now the water would never get that high it is still something I can't shake. 

I dread when I am working and it starts raining. I just take it easy and am always grateful when I make it home safely.

I have been trying  not to watch the news and I actually didn't know there was a hurricane heading toward NOLA. It was pretty much the same way when Katrina happened. Once I did find out about the hurricane I had decided to stay. Since some of my neighbors were staying I didn't feel like I would be alone.

About two or three weeks ago, I went to the Twin Oaks library for the first time. I would have liked to have gone to the Central branch, but it is not open on Sundays. Saturdays I stay home and do stuff around the house.

I picked up several DVDs that happened to all be documentaries with the subject of black moments in Films and movies and history. One DVD Horror Noire was about Blacks in the horror genre. BaadAssss Cinema was a look into the films known as Blaxploitation. Dark Girls, it didn't say it was a documentary on the case, but it was interesting just the same. I didn't think a lot of what is covered was still as big of an issue as it showed. Just goes to show I've been out of touch. Dark Girls focuses on racism within the Black race. It's a myth, but yes, black people can be racists.

Through the lens darkly is a documentary about black photographers. All of the documentaries have been very interesting and educational. Through the lens darkly was not what I was expecting. There were images on the case that I didn't hear them talk about. It was inspiring. I hope I can start photographing people where I feel safe.

The documentary on The Black Panthers was one I was definitely interested in seeing. I was a kid when I heard about the Black Panthers, but there was one event that has always stayed with me and that was Black Sunday. I was about 7 or 8 years old and because of the neighborhood I lived in, black families were urged to put black ribbons on their doors.

The Black Panther chapter in New Orleans was housed in the Desire project in Eastern New Orleans.

The purpose of me going to the library was to see if I could find some films or movies I had missed out on, but I was also looking for a DVD I had seen of an Alvin Ailey production. I didn't know the name and it had to come in from another branch. There were two DVDs and so I said why not?

The DVD I had never seen is about the preparations of the dancers as they prepare for a show in St. Petersburg, Russia. There was a special feature that you can watch the actual show which was really entertaining. Still, the actual DVD that I wanted to see is my favorite. It includes Alvin Ailey's favorite, but I have my own. Alvin Ailey made it possible for many blacks to live out their dreams of becoming dancers.

Thanks for stopping by and do come back again. Keep an open mind.


No comments: