Sunday, May 2, 2021

The 93rd Oscars

 Open Your Mind



It was last Sunday and I didn't know what to expect. I have only missed watching the Oscars on a handful of occasions in my life. But I decided I would watch just because the promos promised it would be different.

When Regina King went strutting down the hall I thought this is going to be great and then it just wasn't keeping my attention. I wasn't sure I would last the entire evening.

The 93rd Oscars- Everyone is recalling the film or movie that made them want to be a part of the medium.

I don't know what my first movie was, but I do recall seeing Rosemary's Baby when I was really really young. What  I remember most is the eyes at the end of the film. Then there was Two Women with Sophia Loren. Of course I was too young to understand what rape was, but there was something about seeing Sophia Loren on the screen. Perhaps she reminded me of my mother, I am not sure. I know when I got older and watched the film again I knew I wanted to go to Italy.

Movies have been an escape as well as an education. I learned how to dress, act, speak, tell jokes and so much more. I had aspirations of being an actor, but that all changed when I the opportunity presented itself. I had danced and acted on stage in school plays, but the film industry is different. 

My cousins were a big part of my movie making as a kid. My father had bought me an 8mm camera and projector. I used to charge the kids in the neighborhood to come and watch silent movies because that's all there was at the time. Technology was moving fast and by the time you could get a sound projector, I had moved on to something else.

It has always been of interest and still is. I started being more in the background because that made it easier to not be recognized. Although there are still times people come up to me and wonder if I am so and so. They'll also say I look familiar. I wonder if they had seen an old commercial, maybe they saw me on a set or at an event, but who knows. It happens. Sometimes it starts a conversation and sometimes I just ignore the attention.

The father won best adaptation of a screenplay.

Laura Dern anounced the winner Another Round won international feature film.

I'm happy that Lakeith Stansfield was nominated for an Oscar.

She also announced the best supporting actor, Daniel Kaluuya for Judas and the Black Massiah.

Don Cheadle presented Makeup and Hair styling, Ma Rainy's Black Bottom was the winner.

He also presented Costume design and the winner was Ann Roth for Ma Rainy's Black Bottom.

Bryan Cranston presented the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, which went to the Motion Picture and Television Fund. It's the first time the award has gone to an organization.

Bon Jun Ho the director of Parasite presented the award for best director in a foreign language film from Seoul. The winner was Chole' Zhao for Nomadland.

Riz Ahmed presented the award for Sound and the winner was Sound of Metal. Riz Ahmed is the star of the film.

Best live action short film Two Distant Strangers was the winner.

Reese Whitherspoon presented the animated short film If Anything should happen was the winner. She also announced the animated feature film winner which was Soul.

Documentary short subject was presented by Marlee Matlin and the winner was Colette.

She also presented the documentary feature and the winner was My Octopus Teacher.

Steven Yeun presented the award for Visual Effects and the winner was Tenet.

Brad Pitt presented Best Supporting Actress and the winner was Yuh Jung Youn for Marini.

Halle Berry presented Production Design the winner was Mank. She also presented Cinematography and the winner was Erik Messerschmidt for Mank.

Harrison Ford presented the award for Film Editing and the winner was Sound of Metal Mikkel E. G. Nielson.

Viola Davis presented the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award to Tyler Perry. He gave a great speech, very inspiring to refuse to hate. I know we don't all see eye to eye, but don't make it a race issue. 

Zendaya presented the award for Original Score the winner was Soul, Trent Reznor, Jon Baptiste, Atticus Ross. She also presented best song and the winner was Her for Fight For You from Judas and the Black Massiah.

Glenn Close did Da Butt and made the night for me.

Angela Bassett presented the memoriam - Cicely Tyson, Ian Holm, Cloris Leachman, Yaphet Kotto, Paula Kelly, George Segal, Wilfred Brimley, Fred Willard, Carl Reiner, Alan Parker, Brian Dennehy, Diana Rigg, Conchita Farrell, Janet Dubois, Sean Connery & Chadwick Boseman.

Rita Moreno presented the Best Picture award. She won her Oscar for best supporting actress for her performance in Westside Story. Which I cringed when I saw they are remaking it. It does look interesting...

The winner was Nomadland. 

Frances McDormand won for best Actress in Nomadland.

Jaquin Phoenix presented actor in a leading role, the winner was Anthony Hopkins for The Father.

Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind and do come back again.


No comments: