Sunday, December 9, 2018

Soaking up the visuals

It's been a lot of DVD watching the last few months thanks to the Austin Public Library. I don't do cable, never have. I used to buy DVDs, but I am cutting back on my spending and not everything is worth owning. You get to be a certain age and you realize you can't watch everything you have more than once. There is just so much new stuff that I am still trying to see just so I can say I did. Thanks to the libraries I can do that.

I watched the first season of The Handmaid's Tale and all I could say was WOW! My first thought was, "Is this what started the Me Too Movement?"
Margaret Atwood wrote the book in 1985 which is essentially when it all began, but it seem to take on more steam when MGM and Hulu introduced the series.

Ever since I saw Mad Men I have been following some of the actors and actresses in their post performances. Elizabeth Moss played Peggy and she was one of my favorite characters. In The Handmaids's Tale she plays Offred, meaning of Fred as who she belongs too. All of the women are given the of and first name of their male head of the house.
The women are used for breeding purposes as well as other things.
This is definitely a series that makes you think. I now want to read the book. Margaret has written a sequel and I'm curious to see if it goes in the direction of season 2 or will the sequel set up for season 3 or perhaps 4.

I started reading Less Than Zero the book by Bret Easton Ellis because I recently found out their may be a television series coming soon. I am not sure if it will continue where the movie left off or if it will be based solely on the book.
When I first read the book I found it very interesting. When the movie came out I was a bit disappointed because the characters had been changed. Although I enjoyed the movie and it is in my top 50, the characters were just different from their descriptions. I do feel Robert Downey's performance as Julian was one of the best performances he had given to that point and was Oscar worthy, but he wasn't nominated. His Oscar was deserving for his performance as Chaplin and I also thought he was great in Tropic Thunder although today their would be some controversy because he is portraying a person of color in the movie.
Satire is one of those touchy subjects in this modern age.
I'll probably have to wait and get it from the library if it does become a series. I doubt if it would be on regular TV because of the subject matter.

Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind and do come back again.

No comments: