Wednesday, January 28, 2015

1-28-15 Movies

Impossible - DDDDD Last night I watched this powerful film. I had no idea what it was about. I don’t even remember if this film played in the theaters, just went straight to DVD or if it was made for cable. When I was a part of the film festivals I knew the films that were being made. Which ones had distribution; the ones that wouldn’t see the light of day.

 When the opening credits rolled it said it was based on a true story and it repeated it as if it would be so unbelievable that no one could comprehend that something like this could happen. The story is about a family that goes from Japan to Indonesia in 2001. That was the year of the earthquake and tsunami. This is a story about survival, family and love. This film is not for the squeamish as there are scenes that are very intense. I was in awe at how well the effects were done.
It was as if someone had taken a camera and actually experienced what was going on. I really, really enjoyed this film.
The film stars Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor and Tom Holland.

Once again I got inspiration that I should continue writing my Katrina story.

A Better World -DDDD This is a Swedish film, which some of it takes place in Kenya. The first few months have some English dialogue. This is another film I had never heard of. My film friends know what I like so I trust their judgment and when they are clearing out their collections it just doesn’t matter. As I’ve mentioned many times before, I love film. If I don’t have to pay to see it, I will watch anything. It’s an art form so you either like something or you don’t. It is not for everyone. I know some people that watch a film once and they never watch it again. I watch films over and over. The first time I watch it for the purpose of the story. Depending on what I take away from it then it is either going to become a yearly watch or one of those that I watch every so many years.

A Better World is one I will probably watch again before the year is out. Although I don’t particularly like films that I can figure out, this one is an exception because the ending was not what I would have liked to have seen. This is the story of two families and two boys dealing with the life of teenage boys. Being the new kid in school and being picked on. Wanting to fight back, but not sure how to do it. This is a film about communication, family, friendship, betrayal, compassion, survival, revenge and love.

The film is directed by Susan Biehr and stars Mikael Persbrandt, Trine Dyrholm, Ulrich Thomsen, William Johnk Juel Nielson and Markus Rygaard

Here is my new rating system. DDDDD highly recommend. DDDD It should be watched. DDD Entertaining DD So, so if you like the stars. D Just out of curiosity watch it.
(I like all movies. Even those that most people don’t like, it makes for great conversation.)

Coming soon: 12 Years A Slave, The Butler, Django Unchained, Lincoln and The Counselor

No comments: