Monday, March 17, 2014

SXSW in review

 (ZACH at night)

I only got to see four films this year. I would have seen more, but I was tired. I am feeling it now as my body is asking for rest.
(Part of the cast, writer and producer of the film Obvious Child)

I really had no expectations of any of the films. I was just going on the small write up in the paper that I had. Some of the films I didn’t know the stars, but I decided to take a chance and see something I might not get a chance to see any other time.
That’s the one thing about film festivals. You never know if a film will get a theatrical release so at least you can say you saw a film that no one else will ever see. Some may go straight to DVD.
When I used to do the Seattle International Film Festival, there were many films that never saw the light of day. Some of the films were in limited release and some were cult classics, but are hard to find.
(Writer Gillian Robespierre and Jenny Slate of the film Obvious Child.)

Obvious Child - (DDD) This was an hilarious look at a touching subject. The story of a comedienne going through a breakup, a one night stand, an accident and the lost of her job simultaneously. I really enjoyed this film. It was just what I needed after such a busy day. The film stars Jenny Slate who has a reoccurring role on the series Parks and Recreation Jake Lacy and Gabby Hoffman.
 (The writer of the film Faults.)

Faults - (DDD) From the synopsis the film sounded interesting. It was the story of a writer who specializes in deprogramming people involved in cults. This film really is interesting. Riley Stearns directed this film that has some unexpected turns. The film stars Leland Orser, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Chris Ellis, Lance Reddick and Jon Griest.
(During the Q & A.)
(Patrick Brice, writer, director and star of the film Creep.)


Creep - (DDD) This film is from first time director, writer, and star Patrick Brice. It’s weird how this came together. I wasn’t sure if I was going to see this film, but when Patrick arrived we chatted and I told him where to park. He then came back out to let me know the producer may show up and he wanted to make sure he got a parking space. I informed him that he would not have a problem. I told him I was hoping to see the film and he said he hoped I would. He asked if I needed a ticket and I decided to take the ticket just to have as a souvenir. The story I think is original, but the filming made me think of The Blair Witch Project.
 (The editor and Patrick Brice during the Q & A.)

Creep is about a photographer that answers an ad on Craigslist to document a guy who is dying. He wants to leave a diary for his son. There are many surprises. It’s not your typical horror film, but it does make one think. It’s beautifully shot with a handheld camera that each actor takes turn filming. Patrick Brice is a recent film graduate. If you want to see something different then this is the film to see. There are many surprises as the story unfolds and there is a great ending. The film is very creepy.

Cesar Chevez - (DDDDD) Once again I wasn’t sure what to expect. I didn’t know a lot about Cesar Chevez. I had never heard of him until I came to Texas. There is a street named after him. He’s like the MLK of the Hispanic community. I thought this might be a documentary, but it was an actual film with an all star cast. Michael Pena gives a great performance as Cesar Chevez, America Ferrera plays his wife. Rosario Dawson, Wes Bently, Jacob Vargas, and John Malkovich round out the great cast. This is truly a powerful film as Cesar Chevez changes his life. He becomes a part of the revolt of the grape workers in California and how he united immigrants and cause wine makers to give them fair wages.

 (The moon over Austin Friday night.)

Here is my new rating system. DDDDD highly recommend. DDDD It should be watched. DDD Entertaining DD So, so if you like the stars. D Just out of curiosity watch it.
(I like all movies. Even those that most people don’t like, it makes for great conversation.)


Thanks for stopping by and keep an open mind. Become a follower while you are here.

Check out my other blogs:
http://ArtbyDlonzo.blogspot.com
http://dlonzo-OpenYourMind.blogspot.com

No comments: