Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Island in the Sun


There are several movies in my collection that I don’t mind watching over and over. I usually watch them at least once a year. One such film is Island in the Sun. Originally I added this movie to my collection because of James Mason. I first saw James Mason in Stanley Kubrick’s film Lolita. I love the film and James Mason’s performance is great. So I then looked at some of the other films he had done and Island in the Sun showed up and then I saw that the film also starred Dorothy Dandridge.

Dorothy Dandridge was an actress I didn’t know a lot about until Halle Berry played her in the HBO film, Introducing Dorothy Dandridge. The likeness is uncanny. Halle Berry is an incredible actress like Miss Dandridge. I had seen the film Carmen and I’m sure in reruns on television I had seen Porgy and Bess. It’s hard to find some of these classic films on DVD. When you do find them they cost so much. I have to keep searching for a used version. There are still many old films I’d like to add to my collection, but I just don’t have the funds to do so. But if I take what I would pay for the DVDs and invest in a DVD recorder I could solve that problem. I have some of the films I would like to add to the collection on VHS. I need to transfer them before they get so bad that they won’t make a good copy.

Island in the sun is a film about race and class. For its time it was a very controversial film. The film exudes sex and yet the actors never kiss. It’s quite the erotic fare. Everyone in the film is great. Harry Belafonte leads the cast with Joan Fontaine, Joan Collins, James Mason and Dorothy Dandridge among others. It’s worth a look if you love movies. The costumes nor the film feels dated at all; Harry Belafonte gets to croon a few tunes.

Thanks for stopping by; keep an open mind.

No comments: