Monday, August 1, 2011

Classics

I recently watched two classic films, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and The Hustler. I had never seen either of these films all the way through. I had seen bits and pieces and was familiar with both films, but I was never a big fan of Elizabeth Taylor and a movie about pool… I was still a baby when The Hustler was released and just a kid when Who’s Afraid of Viginia Woolf? was made. It was a very controversial film for its time. Both movies were filmed in black and white.

Who’s Afraid of Viriginia Woolf? Stars Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Sandy Dennis and George Segal. I love the dialogue in this film. Although I had figured out the underlying story which still makes you keep guessing. There’s lots of drinking and a lot of sexual innuendo from all of the characters.

I didn’t really know what to expect when I decided to purchase the film. I wanted to see it since there were so many raves on it after Elizabeth Taylor’s death. I had seen a few of her films because she stars with some actors I liked and I had begun collecting their films. She is exceptional in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and I liked her in A Place in the Sun.
Next on my list would be to see Cleopatra. I’m sure I saw it when I was a kid, but I need to see these films as an adult to get a better appreciation for them. I know the story behind Cleopatra as far as movies go, but I’d like to watch it.

I’m not sure when I became a fan of Paul Newman, but I remember one of the first films I had seen was Cool Hand Luke. I can’t say how many times I had seen it when I was growing up. Once I added it to my collection as an adult I started researching other films he had done and that’s when I had to see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. The collection began to grow, but The Hustler was never on the list.

Recently I found it at a price that I thought was reasonable and now I have it to watch whenever I like. I love movies and watch them often. The Hustler is an interesting film. Even though it centers around pool, it’s about hustling in general. People hustling people to make money through cons and sex. Whatever it takes to survive. A hustler is like a person that lives from paycheck to paycheck except they can go a period of time when there are no funds coming in.

If you love film as much as I do you’ll enjoy both of these films. It’s great story telling and the cinematography is great. I am a visual person and that along with great editing is what makes a film.



Thanks for stopping by, do come back and become a follower while you’re here.

Coming up: Filming in New Orleans, The Social Network, The Trial, The Fighter




www.artbydlonzo.blogspot.com

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54325957

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54365247

No comments: